Passport Application for Children

As of February 1, 2008, passport applicants who are U.S. citizen minors under the age of 16 must appear personally with their parents to establish identity, proof of citizenship and proof of relationship.  Previous U.S. passports are not acceptable as proof of minor’s relationship to the parent(s)/guardian(s) (but should be submitted with the application per 22 Code of Federal Regulations 51.8).

  1. You will need to submit one of the following to establish the parental relationship/guardianship:
  • Certified U.S. Birth Certificate (with parents’ names); or
  • Certified Foreign Birth Certificate (with parents’ names and translation, if necessary); or
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240) (with parents’ names); or
  • Certificate of Report of Birth (Form DS-1350) (with parents’ names); or
  • Adoption Decree (with adopting parents’ names); or
  • Court Order establishing custody; or
  • Court Order establishing guardianship.

If the parent(s)’/guardian’s name(s) is/are other than that on these documents, evidence of legal name change is required.

  1. Each parent or guardian must submit one of the following:
  • Valid Driver’s License; or
  • Valid Official U.S. Military ID; or
  • Valid U.S. Government ID; or
  • Valid U.S. or Foreign Passport with recognizable photo; or
  • Naturalization/Citizenship Certificate from USCIS with recognizable photo; or
  • Alien Resident Card from USCIS.
  1. Both parents must appear together with the child or
  • One parent may appear and sign if that parent submits the second parent’s notarized statement of consent authorizing passport issuance for the child.  The form of the consent is the notarized DS-3053 “Statement Of Consent:  Issuance of a Passport to a Minor Under Age of 16,” or
  • One parent may appear and sign if that parent also submits primary evidence of sole authority to apply, such as one of the following:
    — child’s certified U.S. or foreign birth certificate (with translation, if necessary) listing only applying parent; or
    — Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240) or Certificate of Report of Birth (Form DS-1350) listing only applying parent; or
    — a court order granting sole custody to the applying parent (unless child’s travel or passport application is restricted by that order); or
    — an adoption decree (if applying parent is the sole adopting parent); or
    — a court order specifically permitting applying parent’s or guardian’s travel with the child or passport application; or
    — a judicial declaration of incompetence of the non-applying parent; or
    — a death certificate of the non-applying parent.
  • If none of the above documentation is available, the applying parent/guardian should submit Form DS-5525 Statement of Exigent/Special Family Circumstances.
  1. A third-party in loco parentis applying on behalf of a minor under the age of 16 must submit a notarized written statement or affidavit from both parents or guardians authorizing a third-party to apply for a passport. When the statement or affidavit is from only one parent/guardian, the third-party must present evidence of sole custody of the authorizing parent/guardian.

All applicants issued a Social Security Number, including children under 16, must provide it on their passport application forms in accordance with 22 U.S.C. 2741a and 22 C.F.R. 51.60(f).

For passport fees and passport photo information please review the appropriate section.

For further information, please visit the Applicants Age 16 and 17 page of the Department of State web site.