Obtaining Documents

Where to Obtain Hungarian Public Documents

In order to obtain certificates or records from Hungary, you have to send the application to the diplomatic or consular representation whose area of responsibility includes the state you live in (see the consular districts of Hungarian missions in the US).

Certificates can be requested only if the birth, marriage, divorce or death occurred in the present-day territory of Hungary. Please note that state and municipal registration has been in place since 1895. Records before this time were kept by churches so if you are requesting a certificate dating from before 1895, always indicate the religious affiliation of the person(s) concerned.

For more information please visit the website of the Hungarian Embassy.