Immigration Law

Tourist Visits

Check the expiration date on your passport carefully before traveling to Europe.  Passports used for entry into any of the 26 European countries in the Schengen area for short-term tourism or business, or to transit to a non-Schengen destination, must be valid for at least three months beyond the traveler’s intended date of departure (“the Three Month Rule”).  If your passport does not meet the Schengen requirements, you may be refused boarding by the airline at your point of origin or while transferring planes.  You could also be denied entry when you arrive in the Schengen area.  You can find passport validity requirements for your destination country, along with other important information, at

Please bear in mind that application and enforcement of the Three Month Rule varies between Schengen countries.  Some Schengen countries assume all travelers will stay the full three months allowed for visa-free visitors, meaning you may not be admitted unless your passport is valid for at least six months, regardless of the duration of your stay.  This requirement may also apply if you are transiting a Schengen airport for several hours en route to a non-Schengen destination. For this reason, we recommend that your passport have at least six months’ validity remaining whenever you travel abroad.

All travelers entering the Schengen area must present a passport for entry.  You may be denied entry if the officer determines you do not qualify for entry.  While passport control is not mandatory for travelers moving from one Schengen country to another, Schengen member states have the authority to check travel documents at internal borders as well.  Therefore, you should be prepared to show your passport when crossing from one Schengen state to another.  Ensure your passport is stamped upon entry and exit.  For additional information on traveling to and within the Schengen area, see the FAQ on

Residence Permits

Foreigners who plan to stay in Hungary for an extended period of time (more than 90 days) are required to obtain a tartózkodási engedély (residence permit) from a regional directorate of the Office of Immigration and Nationality.

In Budapest:

Office of Immigration and Nationality
1117 Budapest, Budafoki u. 60.
Tel: 06-1-463-9100