U.S. Driver’s Licenses in Hungary

U.S. driver’s licenses are accepted in Hungary for one year after arrival in Hungary, provided that a certified Hungarian translation is attached to the document.  U.S. citizens who are in possession of an international driver’s permit do not need to have their state driver’s license translated, but must have both the state license and the international permit on hand when driving.

After one year of residence in Hungary, U.S. citizens must obtain a Hungarian driver’s license.  This license is valid everywhere in the European Union.

Application forms and information are available at your district’s Document Registrar Office.  In certain cases (i.e., where medical eligibility cannot be established from the foreign driver’s license), a health certificate must be attached.  When the Hungarian driver’s license is issued, the American license may be held by the police for the duration of the bearer’s use of the Hungarian license.  For more detailed information, inquiries should be addressed to your district’s Document Registrar Office.

Lost or Stolen U.S. Driver’s Licenses

U.S. Driver’s Licenses:  The Embassy is not authorized to replace lost, stolen or expired driver’s licenses.  Only the issuing office, the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) in the driver’s home state, can perform that service.

International Driving Permit

The International Driving Permit is valid in over 150 countries.  The permit contains your name, photo and information translated into ten languages, and is usually valid for one year.  This license is not intended to replace valid U.S. state licenses and should only be used as a supplement to a valid license.  International Driving Permits are usually available at your local AAA office.  However, if you are currently overseas, you can mail your completed application form to the AAA office closest to your place of residence in the United States.  For office locations, please check the AAA web site.  To apply for your International Driving Permit through the mail, enclose your completed application form (available on the AAA website), two passport-size photos (signed on the back), the 20.00 USD permit fee (check or money order only), and a photocopy of both sides of your current driver’s license.