Please note: The Department of State assumes no responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by, the entities or individuals whose names appear on the following lists. Inclusion on this list is in no way an endorsement by the Department or the U.S. government. Names are listed alphabetically, and the order in which they appear has no other significance. The information on the list is provided directly by the local service providers; the Department is not in a position to vouch for such information.
For your convenience, ACS has compiled a list of local hospitals and doctors. The U.S. Embassy Budapest assumes no responsibility or liability for the professional ability, reputation or the quality of services provided by the medical professionals, medical facilities or air ambulance services whose names appear on these lists. Names are normally listed by specialty and alphabetically and the order in which they appear has no other significance. Professional credentials and areas of expertise are provided directly by the medical professional, medical facility or air ambulance service. An alternate source of medical referrals is provided by the Ministry of Health’s Dr. Info portal, or by phone at 06 80 374-636 (Hungarian only).
Other useful sites in English
Emergency phone numbers
- Ambulance: 104 or +36-1-350-0388
- Police: 107
- Fire Department: 105
- 24-hour English speaker: 112
English is usually spoken at the emergency numbers listed above. In case English is not spoken, dial 112.
Since many U.S. insurance policies do not cover expenses incurred overseas, it is advisable to purchase special insurance covering medical care overseas before traveling to Hungary. Please note that Medicare benefits are not payable for services rendered outside the United States. In Hungary, doctors and hospitals generally require payment in cash upon completion of services rendered.
Hungarian Immunization Services
Inquiries about immunization should be referred to the Hungarian Public Health office, International Vaccination Service (ANTSZ) at 1097 Budapest, Gyali ut 2-6; Tel.: 476-1100.
Private services are available at: Intermed Immunization Service, 1134 Budapest, Vaci u. 70; Tel.: 787-8770.
U.S. Travel insurance information
Medical Evacuation Companies
Medical evacuations can be very costly. Costs vary according to the final destination in the U.S., whether a plane is sent out from the United States or a commercial carrier is used, how many medical escorts are needed, etc. It is advised to have medical insurance that covers these costs.
The companies listed below are all based in the United States:
- Aerocare Air Ambulance Services, Tel: 1-800-823-1911; International calls: 1-630-466-0900
- Air Ambulance 1, Tel. & Fax: 1-832-900-9000; USA Toll Free: 1-800-424-9000; International tel. & fax: 1-832-900-9000; E-mail: Dispatch@AirAmbulance1.com
- Air Ambulance Worldwide, Inc., Tel.: 1-727-781-1198; International calls: 1-877-922-9675
- Air Trek Inc., Tel.: 1-800-MED-JETS, 1-800-AIR-TREK; International calls: 1-941-639-7855
- AirCare1™ International, Tel.: 505-242-7760; International calls: 1-877-760-7760
- American Air Ambulance, Tel.: 1-800-863-0312; International calls: 1-941-536-2002
- Angel MedFlight Worldwide Air Ambulance, Tel: 1-877-264-3570; International calls: 1-480-634-8017
- Central Air Ambulance, Tel.: 1–866-910-6744; International calls: 1-404-222-0911
- Global Rescue LLC, Tel.: 1-800-381-9754; International calls: 1-617-459-4200
- International SOS Assistance, Tel.: 1-800-523-8930; International calls: 1-215-942-8226
- MedEscort International, Inc., Tel: 1-800-255-7182; International calls: 1-610-791-3111
- Trinity Air Ambulance International, Tel: 1-954-771-7911
- UnitedHealthcare Global, Tel: 1-800-732-5309
- U.S. Air Ambulance, Tel: 1-800-948-1214; International calls: 1-941-536-2000
- AirMed Tel.: 1-800-356-2161; International calls: 1-205-443-4840
- AeroCare Tel.: 1-866-456-0040; International calls: 1-407-206-0040
- AirEvac Tel.: 1-888-761-2253; International calls: 1-619-754-6755
- Sky Nurses, Tel. 1-561-666-6417, Toll Free: 866-611-8434, Email: Assist@skynurses.com