Providing assistance to the family of a deceased American citizen is one of the primary functions of the U.S. Embassy in Budapest, Hungary. A Consul prepares a Report of Death based on the Hungarian death certificate; this is then forwarded to the next of kin for use in estate and insurance matters, and is a mandatory requirement of the Department of State. In the event of the death of an American citizen in Hungary, please contact our office at phone number +36-1-475-4164 or via e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The following will be required for the completion of a Report of Death of an American Citizen Abroad:
- date and place of birth;
- date and place of death (e.g. name and address of the hospital);
- cause of death (if known);
- date and place of burial or cremation;
- most recent U.S. passport number;
- Social Security Number;
- most recent address in Hungary and in the U.S.;
- name and contact details of the next of kin;
- name and address of the person who has custody of the belongings of the deceased.
- the official death certificate issued by the Hungarian City Hall (halotti anyakönyvi kivonat);
- the medical/hospital certificate showing date and cause of death, signed by the local physician (halottvizsgálati bizonyítvány).
- Consular Report of Death of a U.S. Citizen Abroad
- Return of Remains of Deceased U.S. Citizens
- Estates of Deceased U.S. Citizens
- Report of Deaths of U.S. Citizens Abroad