Eligibility for a CRBA

For a CRBA, the following will be needed:

  • The child’s original Hungarian birth certificate along with an English translation of the document. (All Hungarian birth certificates issued after March 1, 2006 are trilingual, so there is no translation needed.)
  • The U.S. citizen parent’s evidence of U.S. citizenship (passport or certificate of naturalization);
  • The parents’ original marriage certificate. If it is not in English, an English translation will also be necessary. (There is no translation needed for the new, trilingual type of Hungarian marriage certificates, which were issued after March 1, 2006.)
  • The original divorce decrees, death certificates or other evidence of termination of any marriage(s) prior to birth of the child (if not in English, certified English translation(s) will also be necessary);
  • Post-delivery hospital discharge papers for the mother and the child (no translation needed);
  • 100 USD or the HUF equivalent for the CRBA;
  • The completed application forms;
  • If only one of the parents is a U.S. citizen, proof of physical presence in the United States of that parent is required.

A suggested location for obtaining the necessary certified translations is the Hungarian Office for Translation and Attestation (Országos Fordító és Fordításhitelesítő Iroda Rt.) at Bajza u. 52., 1062 Budapest, +36-1-428-9600; telefax: +36-1-428-9611; e-mail: budapest@offi.hu.

Third Party Attendance at Passport and CRBA Appointment Interviews >>