U.S. Embassy Budapest, Hungary
Security Message for U.S. Citizens: Demonstrations on December 8, 2017
December 8, 2017
The U.S. Embassy informs U.S. citizens that the following demonstrations are expected to take place in Budapest:
- Beginning at 4:00 p.m. on December 8, there will be a demonstration against the United States’ recognition of Jerusalem as the capital of Israel. The Budapest Police anticipates there will be approximately 300. The demonstration will take place on Szabadság tér (Budapest, district 5.). There will be a gathering in front of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences (Budapest, district 5, Széchenyi tér.) between 3:00 p.m. and 3:30 p.m. followed by a march to the U.S. Embassy.
- Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. You should avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
For further information about security in Hungary:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Hungary Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Hungary, located at 12 Szabadság Tér, Budapest 1054, at +36 1 475 4400, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. The after-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +36 30 941 4295.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).