U.S. Embassy Budapest, Hungary
Security Message for U.S. Citizens: Demonstrations on October 22-23, 2017
October 19, 2017
The U.S. Embassy informs U.S. citizens that the following demonstrations are expected to take place in Budapest:
- Beginning at 2:00 p.m. on October 22, there will be a Torchlight March. The Budapest Police anticipates there will be approximately 200 – 3,000 The demonstrators are expected to take the following route: Műegyetem rakpart (district 11) – Szent Gellért tér (district 11) – Szent Gellért rakpart (district 11) – Várkert rakpart ( district1) – Casino (district 1) – Ybl Miklós tér (district 1) – Clark Adam tér (district1) – Fő u. (district 1) – Jégverem u. (district 1) – Bem rakpart (district 2) – Bem tér (district 2)
- Beginning at 8:00 a.m. on October 23, there will be a hoisting of the Flag ceremony. The ceremony will take place at Kossuth tér (district 5).
- Beginning at 3:00 p.m. on October 23, Prime Minister Viktor Orbán will deliver a speech. The Budapest Police anticipates there will be approximately 5,000-10,000 people. This will take place at the Terror Háza (district 6.)
- Beginning at 4:30 p.m. on October 23, private individuals will be demonstrating. The Budapest Police anticipates there will be approximately 5,000 people. The demonstration will take place at the corner of Alkotmány utca and Kossuth tér (district 5).
- Beginning at 6:00 p.m. on October 23, the Momentum Monument will be demonstrating. The Budapest Police anticipates there will be approximately 5,000 people. The demonstration will take place at Szabadság tér, the Soviet Monument (district 5).
- Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. You should avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
For further information about security in Hungary:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Hungary Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Hungary, located at 12 Szabadság Tér, Budapest 1054, at +36 1 475 4400, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. The after-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +36 30 941 4295.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).