Have you heard about the Diversity Visa Program? Better known as the Green Card Lottery or the Visa Lottery, the Diversity Immigrant Visa (DV) program allows Hungarians to register for a chance to apply for a U.S. immigrant visa. Registration is free!
The DV program only opens registration for a limited period of time each fiscal year. The #DV2025 Diversity Visa Program will be open for registration from October 4 to November 7, 2023. This program allows people from countries with low U.S. immigration rates, who meet eligibility requirements, to register for a chance to apply for a U.S. immigrant visa.
This year’s Diversity Visa program open season is called “DV2025” because the individuals selected this season must apply for and receive their immigrant visa by September 30, 2025.
Reminder: Being selected for the 2025 Diversity Visa Program makes individuals eligible to apply for a visa. Selection does NOT guarantee an interview or a visa.
The U.S. Embassy in Budapest advises the public of a notable increase in fraudulent emails and letters sent to DV program (Visa Lottery) applicants. The scammers behind these fraudulent emails and letters are posing as the U.S. government in an attempt to extract payment from DV applicants.
Applicants can only find out if they were selected to continue with the DV application process by checking their status online through the DV Entrant Status Check at https://dvprogram.state.gov,. Applicants will never be notified via email.
Beware of those who charge a fee to help you. There is NO fee to enter and dvprogram.state.gov is the only way to submit an entry.
Remember that fees for the DV application process are paid to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate cashier at the time of your scheduled appointment. The U.S. government will never ask you to send payment in advance by check, money order, or wire transfer.
10 Tips for Applying for DV-2025
- Tip #1 – Read the instructions at dvprogram.state.gov to find out if you qualify. Do NOT enter if you do not meet the qualifications.
- Tip #2 – Only rely on U.S. government websites. Sites ending in “.gov” are the only official source of DV-2025 information.
- Tip #3 – Go to dvprogram.state.gov to submit your entry. This is the ONLY way to enter. Do not be fooled by scams or fraudulent sites.
- Tip #4 – There is NO fee to enter. Beware of those who claim they can improve your chances if you pay them, or who offer to complete your application for free.
- Tip #5 – Use a photo taken in the last six months. Using an old photo will disqualify you.
- Tip #6 – Only submit ONE entry per person. Individuals with more than one primary entry per DV season will be disqualified.
- Tip #7 – Remember to list your spouse and ALL unmarried children under the age of 21 in your application, even if they will not be traveling or immigrating with you. Incorrect or missing information in your entry can mean disqualification – even after you are selected.
- Tip #8 – Keep your unique confirmation number. You will need this to check the status of the entry when selections are made in May 2024.
- Tip #9 – Selections will be made in May 2024. The website dvprogram.state.gov/ESC is the ONLY way to see if you were selected. Do NOT be fooled by any letter or e-mail announcements; these are scams.
- Tip #10 – Remember, being selected does not guarantee you an interview or a visa.
Thinking about registering for #DV2025? There is NO fee to enter. Selection is random from the eligible entries and there is only one entry per person.
Submit your application anytime between 12:00 p.m. EST on October 4 and 12:00 p.m. EST November 7.
The ONLY way to enter the 2025 Diversity Visa Program is through https://dvprogram.state.gov.