On December 18, 2017, President Donald J. Trump unveiled a new National Security Strategy that sets a positive strategic direction for the United States, which will restore America’s advantages in the world and build upon our country’s great strengths. The Strategy identifies four vital national interests as:
(1) Protect the homeland, the American people, and American way of life;
(2) Promote American prosperity;
(3) Preserve peace through strength; and
(4) Advance American influence.
The Strategy articulates and advances the President’s concept of principled realism. It is realistic because it acknowledges the central role of power in international politics, affirms that strong and sovereign states are the best hope for a peaceful world, and clearly defines our national interests. It is principled because it is grounded in advancing American principles, which spreads peace and prosperity around the globe.
- National Security Strategy of the United States – December 2017 (PDF, 1.8MB; get Adobe Reader)
- FACT SHEET: President Donald J. Trump Announces a National Security Strategy to Advance America’s Interests
- A New National Security Strategy for A New Era (White House article)
- President Trump Releases National Security Strategy (State Department Blog Entry)
- President Trump unveils security strategy for new era (ShareAmerica Article)