Messages for U.S. Citizens

  • Filing an I-130 Petition Overseas
    Except under exceptional circumstances, petitioners residing overseas in countries where USCIS does not have a public counter presence (such as Hungary) are required to file their Forms I-130 by mail with the USCIS Chicago lockbox.  (More information about Filing I-130 Petitions can be found on our Immigrant Visa web page.)
  • The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) advises that U.S. citizens and resident aliens living outside the United States can use IRS Free File to prepare and file their federal tax returns electronically.  (See our Taxes web page for more information about IRS Free File.)
  • While in Hungary, U.S. citizens should carry their passports at all times.  Though it only very rarely happens, Hungarian Police can stop you at any time and can ask for your passport.  If you do not have your passport, the police can detain you until they are able to verify your identity and citizenship.
  • The Federal Voting Assistance Program (FVAP) recommends that all citizens submit a new Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) to their local election official in January of each year.  To register to vote in your home state, please follow the instructions on the FVAP web site.  (More information can be found on our Voting web page.)