Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Budapest, Hungary March 13, 2020
Event: On March 11, the Government of Hungary released an Emergency Declaration regarding the potential for COVID-19 in Hungary. Government information on the COVID-19 situation in Hungary is available at https://koronavirus.gov.hu/.
As of March 13, the U.S. Embassy in Budapest will offer only limited services. All previously scheduled American Citizen Services appointments through the end of March are cancelled. For emergency services, please see below for contact information. For emergency passport services for travel to the U.S. before March 31, please come to the Embassy to submit an application. Official hours for emergency passport applications: Monday – Friday 8:30 – 9:30 and 13:00 – 14:00. Passport pick up: Monday – Friday 15:00 – 16:00. No previously scheduled appointment is necessary.
The Department of State has issued a Global Level 3 Health Advisory advising U.S. citizens to reconsider travel abroad due to the global impact of COVID-19.
U.S. government personnel are advised to practice appropriate social distancing and avoid large social gatherings, including cinemas, crowded restaurants, and sporting events. Additionally, personnel are advised to limit their public transit usage and avoid peak hours. Beginning on Monday, March 16, U.S. Embassy American staff will be prohibited from sending their children to local schools and daycare facilities.
U.S. citizens are advised to assess their healthcare needs while in Hungary. It may become increasingly difficult for foreigners to receive medical treatment for both COVID-19 and non-COVID-19 issues.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines or cruise lines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID for information on conditions in Hungary.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
- U.S. Embassy Budapest, Hungary
Szabadság tér 12
+36 1 475 4400
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Hungary Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter