U.S. Embassy Foreign National Student Internship Program
Are you a Hungarian university student who would like an opportunity to gain insight into U.S. foreign policy, diplomacy, and everyday life at the U.S. Mission to Hungary? Students from five Hungarian universities can apply for work as an intern at the U.S. Embassy in Budapest, to explore new career avenues and to acquire lifelong skills. This unpaid internship program is designed to provide substantive experiences in a Foreign Affairs environment. We seek a broad range of academic majors, and a diversity of experience and backgrounds.
- Be a student with active status at one of these Hungarian universities:
- Corvinus University of Budapest,
- Eötvös Loránd University (ELTE),
- International Business School,
- Pázmány Péter Catholic University – Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences, OR
- University of Szeged – Faculty of Law and Political Sciences;
- Have a strong interest in U.S. foreign affairs and bilateral relations;
- Be able to devote approximately 20 hours/week for a few months to work in one of the offices of the Embassy;
- Be able to successfully complete a background investigation and a medical check;
- Be able to speak and write in Hungarian (intermediate level)
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Embassy did not advertise internship possibilities for the Spring 2021 semester.
Compensation and Benefits
- This is an unpaid internships;
- Interns may be able to earn college credit for successful completion of the internship;
- Upon successful completion of the internship, you may receive a letter of recommendation/appreciation from the Embassy;
- Free usage of the gym;
- Involvement in Embassy community events.
How to Apply
What to send:
- CV/resume and Application Form (PDF, 160KB; also called Statement of Interest);
(Application Form/Statement of Interest can be obtained from the Career Center/Office of the applicant’s university/college as well.);
- Personal statement explaining your reasons for applying for the internship;
- Valid certificate of active student status;
- If you wish to apply for an internship in more than one office, please submit an Application Form for each section and also rank your preferences.
Where to submit:
Human Resources Office
Embassy of the United States of America
Szabadság tér 12, H-1054 Budapest
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: My university is not on the list, can I still apply?
A: Unfortunately, we only have formal internship agreements with these universities. If you would like for your university to become part of the internship program, we ask you to reach out to your university administrators to advocate for that process.
Q: I have already graduated but I am looking for an unpaid internship, can I apply?
A: Unfortunately, under current labor regulations, we can only accept interns who have active student status.
If you have further questions concerning this internship, please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org.