Are you a Hungarian student participating in the 2019 Summer Work Travel (SWT) Program? If so, this photo contest is for you! And if you participated in any previous years, welcome back! Please note there are some changes for the 2019 program – please read all the rules below to make sure your photo qualifies!
This year’s topic is #AmericanDream. We would like to see what caught your eye, what surprised you, or what amazed you during your stay in the United States. Send us your Instagram-worthy photos of unique places, special events, hidden natural beauties, or of anything that only you could see and catch that captures your American dream. Just a hint: Let people see America’s treasures through your eyes!
Dreams come in all shapes and sizes! Maybe your idea of the American Dream is a road trip across the country, eating a hot dog at a Yankees game, taking a selfie with a celebrity in L.A., surfing in Hawaii, eating BBQ in Texas, listening to the blues in Memphis, white-water rafting in Colorado, or even taking a tram ride in San Francisco. Show us the #AmericanDream you made come true during your summer in the States.
An Embassy jury will select the best photos for a spot in our 2020 SWT calendar. Judges will select contest winners from among all eligible entries based on the following criteria: technical excellence, artistic merit, originality, composition, and ability to showcase the unique experience of visiting the United States. One “fan favorite” contest winner will also be selected through an audience vote.
The Embassy will issue a 2020 calendar with the 14 best photos (13 months – January-December 2020 and January 2021, plus a cover photo), and each winner will get 10 copies of this calendar.
The Embassy will hold an exhibition of the best photos, and the photographers of those photos will be invited to the opening reception.
Who can enter the contest?
Hungarian citizens who are participating in the U.S. Department of State’s Summer Work Travel Program in 2019 are eligible to enter the contest.
How to submit photos:
- Please upload your photo album to the Google Drive or Dropbox and share the link with this e-mail address: SWT.USEmbBud@gmail.com. Please note: We are NOT accepting submissions via Facebook.
- Photo specifications:
— File format: jpg
— Minimum resolution: participants should only submit high resolution (at least 3,000 pixels or greater in size in any dimension) photos that are suitable for printing.
— Both B&W and color photos are accepted
We will NOT consider photos that do not comply with the above specifications.
- How many photos can one enter in the contest? You may share with us up to 5 photos, but maximum 2 photos per applicant may be selected as winning photos.
- Please also submit a Registration Form together with your photo. We will NOT consider photos submitted without this Form (PDF, 466KB; Word: 19KB). You may share the form with us along your photos or email it separately.
- Submission dates: We will accept photos from August 1 through September 30, 2019.
- Winners will be announced on October 28, 2019.
- If the photo shows people in an identifiable manner (i.e., their faces) their consent is needed. By submitting a photograph to the contest, the contestant affirms that he or she has obtained written consent from all individuals whose image or likeness appears in the photograph (or from the individuals’ parent/legal guardian if any such individuals are considered a minor in their country of residence).
- Photos of children must be taken in a way that ensures that the children’s faces are NOT shown – the faces can be blurred with photo-editing software, but this must be done by the photographer prior to submission.
- For details about privacy issues, please consult section e of Content Requirements of the Official Rules (PDF, 386KB).
In addition to reviewing the above summary, please make sure you read the Official Photo Contest Rules (PDF, 386KB).
Should you have any questions concerning the contest, please send us a Facebook message, or e-mail us at SWT.USEmbBud@gmail.com.
The SWT program offers participants a unique opportunity to explore the United States and collect lifelong experiences! So get your camera or smart phone ready, and take your #AmericanDream photo! We look forward to seeing your photos!