If you want to spend the academic year in the United States attending high school and living with an American host family, apply to the FLEX scholarship program!
Application deadline for the 2019-2020 academic year is October 31, 2018. This program is funded by the U.S. Department of State, and has provided scholarships to over 27,000 secondary school students from 20 different countries in the last 26 years. Currently, 922 students are studying in the U.S. on the FLEX program.
What is the FLEX program?
- The Future Leaders Exchange (FLEX) program is a scholarship program fully-funded by the United States government. Recruitment, selection, orientation, and travel arrangements for the program are organized by the American Councils for International Education.
- Promotes respect for cultural diversity and friendship between the United States of America and 20 different countries, including Hungary.
- Provides opportunities for personal development for school students aged 15-17 by living with an American host family.
- Aims to improve mutual understanding between the U.S. and Hungary by giving students the opportunity to experience the U.S. way of life for an academic year while attending a U.S. high school and living with a U.S. volunteer host family.
- At the end of the program all students return to Hungary on their assigned return-travel date.
Why should you apply to the FLEX program?
- Students form strong ties with their American host families and U.S. communities, building relationships that often last a lifetime.
- Students break stereotypes and teach Americans what life in Hungary is really like.
- Many host families and American friends will visit the students after they return to Hungary.
- Alumni usually attend prestigious universities after returning home, and later find exciting jobs in their home countries that use skills learned during their stay in the United States.
What do you need to do to apply to the FLEX program?
- To apply, you must be a Hungarian citizen enrolled in high school. For more information on specific requirements, please visit FLEX Hungary’s Facebook page. The online application is available at: https://ais.americancouncils.org/flex.
- The online application deadline for the 2019-2020 school year is October 31, 2018.
- Selection is based on merit and demonstrated preparedness for a year-long exchange experience.
- Students will be selected from all regions of Hungary and while English-language proficiency is important, it is not the sole element in selection.
For more information, please e-mail email@example.com.
For further scholarships and professional development opportunities, visit our Grants page.