The American Dream…Coming to a high school near you!
America Day – Call for applications
U.S. Embassy Budapest and the Ministry of Human Capacities open their call for applications for Hungarian high schools to participate in a unique program series called America Day.
The full day program offers students and teachers a chance to learn about the Embassy’s work, get detailed information about our exchange programs, and experience American history and culture in a creative way. Program elements offered by our Embassy are:
- presentation by an American diplomat, followed by a Q&A with the students (the topic of the presentation will be determined together with the school),
- presentation on American higher education and exchange opportunities by an EducationUSA advisor,
- career orientation presentation focusing on the areas of international relations and diplomacy,
- meet and greet with a U.S. Marine serving at U.S. Embassy Budapest,
- diplomacy simulation using materials from the National Museum of American Diplomacy OR simulation game about energy resources developed by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency,
- English teaching materials from the Regional English Language Office (RELO)
- U.S.-themed gift package (books, board games, classroom décor, etc.).
In line with the school’s needs and the availability with the school’s needs and the availability of the Hungarian Fulbright Commission, one of the American Fulbrighters currently working in Hungary might attend the program as well.
During the selection process, applications developed jointly by the school and the local government and local media will enjoy priority. The dates of the program implementation are: second semester of AY 2021/22 (March-June, 2022) or first semester of AY 2022/23 (September-November, 2022). The exact date will be determined together with the school.
How to apply
Your application should contain:
- a brief introduction of the school,
- a minimum of 4 program elements designed by the school, to be complemented by program elements offered by the Embassy, a draft schedule of the day,
- a description of the cooperating partners and their respective roles.
The deadline to apply is November 28, 2021, 12:00 AM CET.
Applications will be assessed by U.S. Embassy Budapest and the Ministry of Human Capacities. The five best applications will be selected to host an America Day. The main selection criteria are: quality and creativity of the proposed programs, involvement of local community and other schools in the area, active participation from teachers and students, involvement of the local media. The results will be available at the website of U.S. Embassy Budapest. Selected schools will also be contacted via email.