The U.S. Embassy in Budapest sponsors a variety of international exchange programs each year in conjunction with the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA). These people-to-people exchanges are designed to enhance mutual understanding between the United States and other nations.The Department of State is committed to supporting alumni of these programs by providing resources that will help them to build upon their exchange experience.
Our goal is to stay in contact with you, the U.S. Alumni Community in Hungary, including U.S. Government (USG) and non-USG sponsored exchange program alumni.
We would like to:
- meet you and hear what you have to say on a variety of topics, sometimes as experts or professionals in your field, sometimes just as Hungarians who have been to the USA
- include you in our Embassy programming. Maybe there is a speaker coming from the United States that you (or perhaps your students) might want to hear.
- inform you of upcoming Alumni programs, scholarships, educational opportunities etc.
- organize activities that are of mutual benefit to the United States and Hungary
Alumni Opportunities for All Alumni
Former participants in both U.S. government-sponsored and qualifying non-USG exchange programs who are living in Hungary have a number of opportunities to be involved in post-exchange activities and to receive access to the following:
- Specialized resources:
- Events such as: conferences, receptions, roundtables, and training sessions
- Other opportunities involving alumni-run initiatives (i.e., mentoring, volunteering, conferences, etc.)
Global Alumni Online Community: International Exchange Alumni
(for USG-sponsored exchange program alumni only)
International Exchange Alumni is the State Department’s official website for alumni of exchange programs sponsored by the U.S. government. The International Exchange Alumni online community recognizes the achievements of exchange alumni and provides them access to exclusive benefits including:
- Funding: Access $33 billion in grant opportunities.
– Connect with more than 100,000 global alumni already registered on the website.
– Chat with VIP guests during regular Digital Dialogue webchats.
- Digital Library: Read the New York Times and 20,000 other magazines and periodicals online or listen to it in 12 different languages.
USG alumni are encouraged to register for the site and gain access to these membership benefits. Only verified alumni of U.S. government-sponsored exchange programs are able to access these benefits.
- International Exchange Alumni One-Pager (PDF 860 KB)
- Using the Website to Stay Informed One-Pager (PDF 670 KB)
- Frequently Asked Questions
Who Can Join the International Exchange Alumni?
You are considered an alumnus/alumna of a U.S. government-sponsored exchange program if you have participated in at least one of the following programs:
- International Visitor Leadership Program (IVLP)
- Fulbright Program
- Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship Program
- Benjamin Franklin Transatlantic Fellowship Initiative
- Hungarian American Enterprise Scholarship Fund (HAESF)
- Ron Brown Fellowship
- Summer Work & Travel Program
Return – U.S. Alumni in Hungary
“Return – U.S. Alumni in Hungary” is an umbrella organization for alumni of different scholarship organizations and for individuals who studied or participated in an educational or professional exchange program in the United States. Its goal is to foster fast and efficient communication among members and member organizations.If you participated in a qualifying program in the United States please feel free to join the RETURN social media platforms:
Alumni associations in Hungary:
- USG-sponsored exchange program alumni:
– Hungarian Fulbright Association
– Fulbright Hungarian Grantees
– HAESF Alumni
- Non-USG-sponsored exchange program alumni:
– CTP Alumni
– Eisenhower Fellowships
– HAC Congressional Internship Alumni
– Hungarian Medical Association of America Alumni
– Harvard Club of Hungary
– Iowa International Writing Program
– Summer Work & Travel Program
If you are an alumnus/alumna and have ideas for events or activities, or stories to share with the alumni community, we want to hear from you! Also, please let us know if your information has changed so we can be sure to keep you up-to-date.
For further information, please contact
Dóra Kovács, Temporary Alumni Coordinator