Be advised that on July 24, 2021, there are several planned demonstrations against the Budapest Pride Parade on the Pest side of the city, and one planned demonstration by the Chain Bridge on the Buda side. Currently, we are unaware of information indicating a specific threat from or against these events. Hungarian Police will be present at each of these events to monitor the security situation.
The Police request all diplomatic participants be at the rally point to enter the march at 13:30. Participants should arrive from the north-east, most preferably through Király utca, and enter via Asbóth utca and Asbóth köz. Participants should not try to approach the rally point from the south or the south-east, such as Astoria, Rákóczi út, or from the north or the north-west, such as Deák tér, Erzsébet tér, or Bajcsy-Zsilinszky út. Participants are reminded to be extra aware of their surroundings during entry into and have an exit plan when departing the parade. Due to road closures, police advise the use of public transportation to get to the rally point.
Pride Parade Details:
Date/Time: Saturday, July 24, 3-8pm
Gathering Site: Madách Imre tér in District 7 (from 1:30 pm)
Route: Madách Imre tér – Károly körút – Astoria – Múzeum körút – Kálvin tér – Vámház körút – Fővám tér – Szabadság híd – Szent Gellért tér – Szent Gellért rakpart – Erzsébet híd alatt (a Döbrentei tér) – Attila út – Szarvas tér – Krisztina körút –
Destination: Tabán (area bounded by Krisztina körút – Kereszt utca – Rácz Fürdő). Participants are expected to arrive between 5:00-5:30 pm. The after party will last until 20:00 pm.
- Deák Ferenc tér in District 5
- Andrássy út, between Vörösmarty utca and Bajcsy-Zsilinszky utca (counter-march)
- Bajcsy-Zsilinszky út, between Andrássy út and Nyugati tér (counter-march)
- Kossuth Lajos tér / Parliament
- Clark Ádám tér by Lánchíd (Chain bridge – Buda side)
- Széchenyi tér by Lánchíd (Chain bridge – Pest side)
- Szabad sajtó útja by Erzsébet híd (Pest side)
- Ferenciek tere
- Southern end of Nyugati tér
- Szabadság tér
- Blaha Lujza tér
- Near Budapest Park (location of the Afterparty)
- If you find yourself in or near a demonstration, be aware of your surroundings and continually assess the demonstration for changes.
- Even peaceful demonstrations can turn violent quickly. Depart any demonstration and seek shelter at the first sign of violence.
- Monitor local media for further information.
- Comply with directions from local authorities.
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates