Location: Downtown Budapest near the U.S. Embassy
Event: The Embassy would like to inform you of the following demonstrations:
- Wednesday, February 16, 2022, 1:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Up to 200 taxi drivers in their vehicles are expected to block the streets around city hall (Gerlóczy utca, Városház utca, and Bárczy István utca) to protest taxi fares.
- Thursday, February 17, 2022, 10:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
A small group of demonstrators is expected to gather at Szabadság tér (Liberty Square) to protest the destruction of wildlife at Lake Balaton.
- Friday, February 18, 2022, 3:30 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.
A small group of demonstrators is expected to gather at Kossuth Lajos tér to draw attention to climate change.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid large crowds and areas where demonstrators are gathering.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Comply with directions from local authorities.
U.S. Embassy Budapest, Hungary
American Citizens Services Unit: ACS.Budapest@state.gov
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.